Monday 27 October 2014

University- My Experience So Far

Undoubtedly, universtiy is not for everyone. No one wants to find themselves ridden with thousands of pounds worth of debt after three years of hard graft; sharing a filthy kitchen with up to twelve people and sleeping in a room that’s forming worrying amounts of mould. However, many would agree that besides all these issues, university is the single, best decision they ever made. 

Two years ago i would NEVER have considered myself the outgoing, up for anything individual I feel I am today. In college I had (and still do have) a handful of amazing, lifelong friends. The only problem was, I became so comfortable around these people that I didn’t allow myself to branch out. A tight friendship group was something that I had always craved but I would find myself doing anything to avoid social situations. I was awkward, Introverted and frankly quite boring to be around. 

Once I found out that I was accepted into my first choice (Southampton Solent) I was both overjoyed and absolutely petrified. It took days and days to convince myself that I was capable, but suddenly, a strange realisation came over me. I knew it was something I both wanted and had to do to become a fuller person. so, just like that I changed my whole perspective. 

Nobody I was going to meet at university knew my background so it provided the perfect opportunity for me to start over. Here are just a few things I discovered/ wish I had sooner:


FRIENDS/ SOCIALS
-Don’t judge people depending on their Facebook profiles… yes, I know we all do it!

The Facbook pages that are set to help us freshers find their course and flatmates are genius, and for many of us a huge comfort. However, if you find yourself already picking and choosing who you like the look of, take a massive step back and remind yourself that this is a profile of a person, an image that they have created of themselves which is often hugely different from the truth. In my case, the people I found intimidating or just not my kind online are now some of my best friends. 

DRINKING
-Both the best and worst parts of your university experience. The greatest comfort most of us look towards when making new friends at uni. 

Being one of the youngest freshers, I found the whole going out/ party scene a huge novelty. Freshers really will be the craziest two weeks. You push your body to it’s absolute limits, and when you’re still feeling fresh after two solid weeks of binging… the dreaded freshers flu creeps up and bites you in the ass. 
But anyway, when drinking, just remember, emotions are up in the air and situations will probably get out of control at times. Don’t ever let these dramas take over or ruin friendships, talk it out and move on.    

SOCIALS AND SOCIETIES 
If you have a talent, join a society. If you don’t, discover one you never knew you had; societies really are the greatest way to meet more people and broaden your friendship groups. My biggest regret in first year was not joining a sports society. Initiations and socials in sports teams really are what you see on american pie movies (everything from naked streaking to filthy, filthy pints). Societies are designed to help us students embrace new experiences so go crazy. 

I could go on forever and ever. But my main piece of advice would just to be to embrace every minute of your university experience. Do things you never expected you would do. Be spontaneous and crazy. Were all here to learn, (not just academically) and university provides a place where you can be yourself no matter who you are, there are so many possibilities and everyone has you’re back so make the most of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment